Thursday, September 20, 2012

Project Run & Play: Fashion Icon Week

 
It's Week 2 of Project Run & Play Sew Along! This weeks challenge/theme was Fashion Icon. I thought I would go retro and choose Twiggy & her 1960's style to base my run and play outfit off of.
 
 
Twiggy is best know for her short hair, androgynous looks, skinny frame and thickly mascaraed eye lashes. But in terms of her style, Twiggy popularized the shift dress in the '60s- a dress that had a firmly rectangular tilt, guiding rather than conforming to a woman's body. Also widely popular at this time was bright psychedelic patterns and colors.
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
So here is my interpretation:
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
The dress is made with a thick gray cotton and the geometric design is appliqued asymmetrically onto the side of the dress.

 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
The 3/4 sleeves and the boat neck collar also are fashion trends of the 60's.
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
I drafted this pattern myself.  I don't have a really have a good tutorial for it because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.
 
 Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
The neck scared me a little but it turned out exactly how I planned it so I couldn't be happier!
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
Jaden likes it too, so it will at least get worn =)
 
 
And it will work perfectly for our Texas winter!
 
Twiggy Inspired Appliqued Dress
 
Always my go-to model, Jaden is really stepping up her game by posing while jumping... I might be creating a diva!
~Jessica
 

 


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! So colourful. I posted on pr+p that YOU are my fashion icon! I think I'm the first comment on Thursday's post there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun!!! :) Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute and fun dress! I love your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete