Thursday, September 13, 2012

Project Run & Play: Bias Pattern Remix

Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
Sorry I have been missing from my blog for like a MONTH! I have been busy with non-craft stuff, like cleaning closets, coaching soccer....
But now it is time for Project Run & Play- time to dust off the sewing machine and get those competitive juices flowing.
The first challenge is to remake Katy from No Big Dill's idea of using opened up bias tape to add detail and texture to an item of clothing. 
 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
I thought that I would remake the idea by using the bias tape to make a chevron pattern instead of horizontal stripes.
 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
I also added a little hand embellished applique to the bodice to make the dress a little more "me."
 
 
 
 I started with Simplicity Pattern 3511.
 
 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
I cut the back and front skirt pieces into four instead of two.
 
 
Then added all the strips of bias tape diagonally across the pieces.
 
 
Here are the four pieces before I sewed them together.
 
 
For the dragonfly applique I cut out the shape from a sliver piece of fabric.
 
 
The wings and body pieces from other scraps of fabric
 
 
Ironed them altogether...
 
 
I used the sewing machine to zig-zag stitch around all the pieces before going back and hand embellishing.
 
 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 

 
I choose to make the dress with the 3/4 sleeve option so my daughter can wear it a little later into the season and again in the spring with the mornings are cooler.
 
 
 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
I have made this pattern several times, it is really easy with 2 buttons on the back instead of a zipper.

 
Bais Tape Cheveron Dragonfly Dress
 
So I am off to get a jump on next week since it seems like lately I have been behind on everything!! Hope you all have a good weekend!
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. That looks so professional! I'd never guess it was mommy-made (in a good way!!). Love the dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed you loads! What a gorgeous dress, I love the photo of a beautiful little giggling girl wearing it :-)

    ReplyDelete