Thursday, April 26, 2012

Handpainted Upcycled Earth Day Dress...


On to week 3 of Project Run and Play Sew Along, this week's theme is Earth Day. The challenge was to upcycle an old piece of clothing into something new. Here is my interpretation:




I started with an old cargo skirt that was in my goodwill box.


 It was the perfect color for an earth day dress and it had a lot of fabric so I was able to use a new pattern I had been itching to try, Simplicity 1949.

    

I made the sleeveless dress version. Then revised the pattern to add a ruffle onto the sleeves. I wanted the ruffle to go longer than the arm sleeve hole so this was my solution:


I drew with chalk the outline of the tree before going in and painting it with fabric paint.



I did the same thing with the little girl silhouette on the back of the dress.


I am in love with this pattern and dress! It came out so cute and has a flattering fit.


I think the free hand painting adds real interest to the dress.



 Hope y'all are having a good week!

9 comments:

  1. Just toooooo cute! Exquisitely lovely work on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress- actually I would love to have a dress like this- hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome painting! That dress is absolutely adorable, and you are one very talented Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! I love the dark color with the white contrast, so cute!

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so this dress is amazing too! I love the painting/drawing. Hmm... I wonder if I could do something like that. And, the ruffle sleeves are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is one of the most gorgeous dresses I've ever seen! I love, love, LOVE the painting that you did, and the colors and cut of the dress are fantastic too. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you realize what a talented artist you are!!! And I don't know why you haven't been one of the contestants on PR&P. You have some of the competitors beat hands down!!!
    Designdreamer

    ReplyDelete