Thursday, April 26, 2012

Handpainted Upcycled Earth Day Dress...

On to week 3 of Project Run and Play Sew Along, this week's theme is Earth Day. The challenge was to upcycle an old piece of clothing into something new. Here is my interpretation:

I started with an old cargo skirt that was in my goodwill box.

 It was the perfect color for an earth day dress and it had a lot of fabric so I was able to use a new pattern I had been itching to try, Simplicity 1949.


I made the sleeveless dress version. Then revised the pattern to add a ruffle onto the sleeves. I wanted the ruffle to go longer than the arm sleeve hole so this was my solution:

I drew with chalk the outline of the tree before going in and painting it with fabric paint.

I did the same thing with the little girl silhouette on the back of the dress.

I am in love with this pattern and dress! It came out so cute and has a flattering fit.

I think the free hand painting adds real interest to the dress.

 Hope y'all are having a good week!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Soccer Star Sportswear!

So it is time for the second week of Project Run & Play. I didn't budget my time very well for this project and had to spend too many late nights working hard to make the deadline. But here it is: my take on sportswear!
When brainstorming for this project I figured I would make something for my youngest who was too little to enroll in soccer this season but still she is dragged to every practice and game for both her older sister and brother- she needed something special to cheer them on. So this is what I came up with...

The asymmetrical sleeveless hoodie is made from a spandex fabric that is very lightweight and quick drying (perfect for the Texas summer heat). It is lined in the same spandex but I lined the hood in a gray jersey knit (it is really thick and I was afraid it would make the top too hot if I lined the jacket also).

The appliques on the top are cut out instead of ironed on. This is the first time I tried this technique and I love it! Here is how I did it:

After drafting the pattern from one of my daughters shirts I drew out the soccer ball and put the paper on the top, the spandex pattern piece in the middle and a circle of gray fabric in the back.

I sewed directly on to the paper on all the lines.

When done you tear off the paper and cut out the pieces you want to be gray (leaving the blue pieces in place)

I did the same with the stars on the hood- gray with blue stars on the inside....

And the other side was where I cut out the stars.

I also did this same technique with the writing on the left side. 

For the pleated skirt I cut out 10 pieces of each color of 3 inch by 7 inch strips.

Sewed them all together.

Top stitched over all the seams and then ironed the pleats flat.

I also attached some shorts to the skirt because my little soccer supporter usually spends time during the games doing somersaults down the side line.

I am really happy with the way it turned out she is wearing it today and it is the perfect play outfit, comfortable, cute and the spandex is really easy to wipe off and doesn't wrinkle.

Hope you all are having a good week, I am glad to be finished with my outfit and plan on going to bed right after my son's soccer practice tonight!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Star Wars Prom Dress

Star Wars dress

So with my first commissioned sewing project I figured out a few things... one I am old. To me prom was all satin and formal but obviously not in this day and age. Two- it is really hard to sew for someone that isn't there to try on the outfit at all points in the process.
And with that I give Katie's Star Wars Prom Dress!

Star Wars dress
I used Simplicity Pattern 2444 for the bodice, except making it into a v-neck and have a v-back.
I made the skirt by doubling her waist measurement so that the gather was extreme and puffed out the bottom of the dress.

Star Wars dress

The unique sleeves were totally Katie's design. Here is how I made it come to life:

I started with the sleeves from the Simplicity  and cut out the center section.

And sewed the center "straps" to the side piece of the sleeve.

Then the other side so it looks like this.

I sandwiched the straps between the sleeve and the liner (same shape as the sleeve) and sewed along the same edge again.

Flip it over and top stitch over the edge. Now sew it to the dress the same way your would the sleeve with out the missing pieces.

Star Wars dress 

I made the petticoat from the tutorial from It turned out perfect and I am on to making two for my daughters, I think that a few of their dresses would benefit from a little poof.

Star Wars dress

Star Wars dress

It turned out to be a really cool dress, Katie has an eye for fashion! Hope you have a great Prom!